Athletic and Activities Code
Mercer Island High School Athletic/Activity Code
We want to have an Athletic/Activity Code that will effectively hold students accountable so they can focus on their academics and activities. After a committee of community members received feedback from parents, students and administrators regarding the code and reviewed the policies of several neighboring school districts, it was clear that our code should be updated, clarified and shared more directly with students and parents.
The Athletic/Activity Code outlines the responsibilities of students and coaches and consequences for violations of the code, including activities like drug and alcohol use, disruptive conduct or bullying. It applies to participants in all sports, musical ensembles, leadership and club activities. These students are held to a higher standard because they represent the school at public events.
The Athletic/Activity Code will now run from the first day of fall practice through the last day of school in June, but will not cover the summer. The self-report system for violations of the code has been eliminated. There will also be four accountability stages in the event of violations instead of three. The chart below summarizes the changes.
|New Athletic/Activity Code||Old Athletic Code|
|Accountability during school year||Year-round Accountability|
|Four Accountability Stages:||Three Accountability Stages:|
|1) Athletic/activity exclusion for 15 days||1) Athletic exclusion for 15 days|
|2) Exclusion from activity/sport for the rest of the season||2) Exclusion from all athletics/activities for one year|
|3) Exclusion from all athletics/activities for one year||3) Exclusion from all MIHS activities/sports|
|4) Exclusion from all MIHS activities/sports|
The committee also created a list of the key provisions of the code so the information is more accessible to students and parents. The full Athletic/Activity Code can be read online here and some frequently asked questions have been answered below.
If you have more questions about the updated Athletic/Activity Code, please contact Mercer Island High School Principal and Athletic Director Nick Wold.
Athletic Code Q&A
- Q: WHY WAS THE SELF-REPORT PROVISION ELIMINATED?
- Q: WHY DOES THE ATHLETIC/ACTIVITY CODE NO LONGER COVER THE SUMMER?
- Q: WHAT HAPPENS IF THE VIOLATION OCCURRED OUT OF THE STUDENT’S ATHLETIC SEASON OR ACTIVITY COMPETIT?
- Q: DO VIOLATIONS OF THE ATHLETIC/ACTIVITY CODE CARRY OVER YEAR-TO-YEAR?
- Q: IF MY STUDENT IS IN THE HARRY POTTER CLUB, DOES S/HE HAVE TO SIGN THE ATHLETIC/ACTIVITY CODE?
- Q: WHO HAS TO SIGN THE ATHLETIC/ACTIVITY CODE?
- Q: WHY WAS THERE AN UPDATE TO THE ATHLETIC/ACTIVITY CODE?
- Q: WHEN DOES THE UPDATED ATHLETIC/ACTIVITY CODE GO INTO EFFECT?