English/Multilingual learners will meet state standards and develop English language proficiency in an environment where language and cultural assets are recognized as valuable resources to learning.
To develop English learner’s proficiency in English so he/she can participate more fully in the classroom academic setting.
Translation and Interpretation Services:
The Mercer Island School District provides limited English proficient parents with information in their own language so that they can make informed decisions about their children's education. This includes providing interpretation and translation services for vital meetings and communications. If you need assistance, please email EL Coordinators Kristin Kim or Roxane Chan.
Eligibility for English Language Development Services
- What language did your child first speak or understand? (#2 question)
- What language does your child use the most at home? (#3 question)
2. WIDA Screener* will be administered by the ELD staff either before starting school or within 30 days of attendance. This assessment covers listening, speaking, reading, and writing domains.
3. Eligibility for ELD Services - based on WIDA Screener overall level and each domain level
4. ELD Services Participation
5. All eligible students will take the WIDA ACCESS (Summative Test) each spring to measure their progress and to determine future eligibility.
Benefits of ELD Services:
1. The ELD staff knows each student well. They act as the student’s advocate, monitoring progress and helping in communication with teachers to provide appropriate accommodations in-class assignments and tests.
2. English/Multilingual learners can receive additional accommodations during state testing (Smarter Balanced assessments or SBA) such as text-to-text speech, selected word translation, and/or administration by ELD staff in a small group setting.
*Those students who have been in the U.S. schools for less than a year can opt out of taking English language arts assessments of the SBA.
3. Students in 6-12 grades have the Pass/No Grade option in more than one class.